sytten’s picks for 15 Best Albums of 2012
This excludes mixtapes and EPs. Shame, that’s where the majority of my favorite music came from this year.
Last year I did explanations for each one, and it took me a shitload of time that I just don’t have this year. I’m willing to defend this list to the nines, so just reply to this post if you disagree with something or wonder shit.
N.B. I haven’t listened to Habits & Contradictions by Schoolboy Q yet. Knowing my taste, that probably would have made it. Eh.
15. The Silicone Veil by Susanne Sundfør
14. Kickin’ & Screamin’ by Krizz Kaliko
13. We Don’t Even Live Here by P.O.S.
12. Rollin’ Stone by Stevie Stone
11. Channel Orange by Frank Ocean
10. The Heist by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
9. Coexist by the xx
8. Control System by Ab-Soul
7. Koi No Yokan by Deftones
6. Trilogy by The Weeknd **
5. Cancer 4 Cure by El-P
4. Take Me To Your Leader by ¡MAYDAY!
3. Skelethon by Aesop Rock
2. good kid, m.A.A.d city by Kendrick Lamar
1. Shrines by Purity Ring
Honorable mentions: Noctorniquet (The Mars Volta), Cruel Summer (G.O.O.D. Music), The Church of the Good Thief (Right Away, Great Captain!), Ohnomite (Oh No)
** only sixth because it was a repackaging of three mixtapes that were released in 2011, with three bonus tracks. had it all been original, we’d be thinking differently here.